TROPPO Nth qld
Singapore Beef Curry
2 tbsp. vegetable oil 8 shallots, peeled
750 gms rump steak, cut into 4cm pieces
1-2 tsp Coconut Curry Powder
225 g can bamboo shoot slices, drained
1 cup coconut milk
2 large Desiree potatoes, peeled, cut into 3cm pieces
1 bunch broccoli, trimmed, stems chopped leaves separated
Steamed Sun Rice Jasmine fragrant Rice, to serve
1. Heat oil in a heavy-based saucepan. Cook beef, in batches, turning for 4 minutes or until browned. Transfer to a bowl.
2. Add shallots, Cook stirring for 2 minutes.
3. Return beef to the pan. Add curry powder, bamboo shoots, coconut milk and potato. Cover an bring to the boil.
4.Reduce heat to low. Simmer, stirring occasionally, for 1hour and 30 minutes or until beef is tender.
Taste test after 10 minutes of adding curry powder and if necessary add more curry powder now.
5. Stir in broccoli. Cook for a further 3 to 4 minutes or until the broccoli is tender. Serve with the steamed rice.
Lamb and Eggplant Curry
1-2 tsp Bramston Beach Curry Powder
4 green cardamom pods, crushed and pods discarded
1 tsp chilli flakes
499gms lean leg of lamb cut into 2 1/2 inch cubes
1 tbsp. vegetable oil
2 red capsicums, deseeded and cut into 2 cm chunks
1 eggplant, cut into 2 cm chunks
1/2 cup (100g) split red lentils
400mls diluted beef stock
1 cinnamon stick
1/4 cup flaked almonds, toasted
Prep: 20 mins Cook: 40 mins Extra Time: 2 hrs, marinating
1. Place Bramston Beach Curry Powder and cardamom in a mortar and crush with a pestle. Add the chilli flakes. Place the lamb in a bowl, add the spices and toss to coat evenly. Cover and chill for 2 hours or overnight.
2. Heat the oil in a large deep saucepan or flameproof casserole dish and fry the onion, capsicums and eggplant for about 10 mins, stirring occasionally to soften.
3. Add the spiced lamb and lentils, stir in the stock and cinnamon. Bring to the boil, then stir, reduce the heat ad cover. Simmer gently for about 30 mins until the meat is tender. Serve scattered with toasted flaked almonds.
Serve with Wholemeal chapatti's or naan bread